Pages

Monday 30 December 2013

Lace skirt finished



My lace skirt was finished just in time for Christmas. Considering the fact that working with lace is a bit time consuming this skirt was a relatively easy make. In my earlier post I described construction details until basting the hemmed underlining and lace together. I stitched the side seams and inserted the zipper by hand.




The pattern used satin bias tape as a visible finish at the waistline. I chose to use grosgrain ribbon on the inside and added a hook and eye instead of a button. The waist ended up a tad wide, lucky coincidence taking the amount of food at the Christmas dinner in consideration!

Looking at the picture I'm not very pleased with my styling. This skirt definitely asks for more delicate tights and high heels. Well, sometimes you need to make a concession. Specially when travelling by public transport and walking the streets of Amsterdam with the furry assistant.




On Christmas Day we went to the theatre to see The Sleeping Beauty, a magnificent production by the Dutch National Ballet. Principal dancers Anna Tsygankova and Jozef Varga stunned the audience during a overwhelmingly beautiful performance and received well deserved standing ovations and curtain calls.




Here's another picture, also at the theatre. I'm standing next to one of the amazing costumes from The Sleeping Beauty. Those are real works of art. Delicate fabric, beautifully embroidered with crystals and pearls. Yep, there's lace skirts and lace skirts!



Although the one on the left is in another league I'm very happy with mine!



6 comments:

  1. Hello Marianne - yes, flats and tights are very much more the way to navigate cobbled straights with a lovely canine. Comfy and warm too - long gone are the days of youth when elegant stockings and heels were de rigeur, and pets and the domestic life had not been entered :). The ballet must have been a treat - and fancy being able to actually see one of these gorgeous costumes - which actually have quite a hard life. I like the hand insertion of the zip. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo, I refuse to let domestic life take over my style completely! Later this week I'll wear the skirt like I intended :) Happy New Year too, we have to wait for some more hours but you already know what it's like to live in 2014 ;)

      Delete
  2. Lace skirts are so versatile and can take centre stage no matter what we wear on our feet. Live this skirt and the ballet would gave been amazing. Your furry assistant is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. If canines could blush she certainly would!

      Delete
  3. Actually I prefer your skirt to the gown on the left :-) . And I think if you style it with lighter colours it will look great in the spring. I am definitely inspired...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O yes! I think it will be nice with ivory, coral and pink in spring. I need some serious fabric shopping in the near future!

      Delete